When thinking about what to write,
I have realized that through this course I have learned a lot about how an
individual learns a second or additional language. I have also learned that
there are many factors that goes into learning a second or additional language
and there are many factors in teaching someone who is wanting to learn a second
or additional language. The process is not as clear cut as you may want it to
be. There are many things someone must take into consideration when teaching
someone a second language. One must consider their age, their first language
and how it could affect their second language, the environment they are
learning in, how they are learning the new language, how they are in their
development in general, their aptitude, their motivation, and so much more. There
is a lot that goes into language acquisition. Through this course, I was able
to put things into perspective and see how language acquisition really works.
In this course, we had to maintain
a blog as well. Making a blog through using Google’s blogging services was not hard
to do. Google’s blogging service is very user friendly and streamlined. Using
blogging in this class, we were able to share our assignments with our classmates
and get input from our classmates. It’s a good way to have interactions with classmates
especially when it is an online class. Blogging did bring that sense of
community to the online class because typically with an online class you may
feel very alone in your learning. Through blogging, I was able to see what my
peers thought about something and I was able to comment on it. I also really
like the interviews we had to do because through interviewing others we were
able to gain a lot of insight. Then, through posting it on our blogs, we were able
to go to our peers’ blog to watch their interview and gain even more insight. In
this class, we were able to learn through blogs, videos, interviews, and the
textbooks. It was differentiated as best as it could have been seeing as it was
an online class. There were many ways to learn the material which I really
liked. The course was differentiated for us as best as it could be, and we were
able to learn from our peers by blogging.
After reflecting on this course and
seeing how it affected me. I now wish to get my ESL certification. In Texas,
there are many English language learners. Now, I see that it would be most
beneficial to learn more about how people acquire a second language in order to
better teach the growing second language population. To do that, I should
pursue my ESL certification. Through this course, I have learned that differentiation
is key when trying to teach English language learners. In other courses, I have
learned that as well. That key aspect has changed how I think about how
students learn. I know that students are different, students learn differently,
so differentiating should happen daily to reach and teach students at their
level. That is how this course has impacted me.
Hi Chenda! Great entry! I like that you mentioned some of the things you learned. First, I like that you mentioned the importance of understanding a language learner’s age. According to Ortega, age plays a big difference between L2 and L1 learning (Ortega, 2013, p. 12). Age was an interesting topic that I learned about in this class as well. I also like that you mentioned the learning environment. After learning about the different learning environments, I believe that there needs o be a mix of naturalistic and instructed approach (Ortega, 2013, p. 124). I think it is important to learn from the environment and have structure as well. I like your thoughts on blogs. I, too, felt a great sense of community! I wish you best on your ESL test as I plan to take it as well.
ReplyDeleteHi Tara! Thanks for taking the time to read my blog! It was really interesting what we’ve learned about age and how it plays a big difference between L2 and L1 learning. At the same time, for adult language learners, age only really plays a small factor since they are already cognitively developed. It’s just so interesting to think about all of the factors that goes into language acquisition. Also, I wish you luck as well with your ESL test!
DeleteHello Chenda, I enjoyed reading your blog entry as I have enjoyed reading most of your blog posts for this entire semester. However, I have to say that this has been my favorite because I got a chance to read about your perspective on the course. Differentiation is a key component in regard to learning and instruction. In a study conducted by Ard and Gass, "Results showed that there was less differentiation among lexical items in
ReplyDeletethe lower proficiency group than in the higher proficiency group" (Gass, pg.235). This evidence supports the idea that differentiation can make positive difference in learning outcomes.
Hi BreAnna! Differentiation really is a key component to learning and instruction. It is a key component when it comes to teaching and learning anything in general since everyone learns differently. For ELLs, as they go through school their instruction will have to be differentiated in order for them to be successful. Thank you for reading my blog!
DeleteChenda,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you touched on several main topics of language learning. We have learned throughout this course that multiple factors affect the way someone learns a new language! I think as educators, we need to help students the way that is best for them. You brought up the idea of differentiation. I have not thought about SLA as such until now. When you reflect on ESL accommodations made for students, it boils down to differentiated instruction and learning. Whether that means using images, sounds, or simplified vocabulary, students will get the modifications they need to be successful. I like that you pointed out that our blog creates sense of community within our online class. I believe that this blog has made learning and discussing this SLA material fun and more engaging. Finally, these courses have made me understand the ESL community better and the importance of being an ESL certified teacher.
Hello Natalie,
DeleteI agree with your point about a sense of community. I know that based on past experiences online class can feel exceptionally lonely. I feel that due to the way this course is set up there really is a sense of community that is often lacking in online courses.
BreAnna,
DeleteOften times for online classes we just have plain discussion boards. Many of the discussion boards just have the classmates name and thats all you know about them. Using blogger this semester has seemed more personable and allowed us to get to know each other better. Some of us have in classroom courses together, and these blogs have allowed us to learn more about one another than the average classroom conversations. My favorite thing about this course is that it has given us the opportunity to see where others around us come from, and how they have learned language.
Hi Natalie! I really like the use of blogging in this course. It really did bring forth a sense of community. We weren’t just anonymous classmates to each other which is what happens in a typical online class. Learning in general is a very social. So, having the blog is very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog!
DeleteHello Chenda!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog. Your writing reflects on how you reflect as a person as well as a future educator. You are right that there is so much that goes into learning an additional language. As well as so many different factors too. This course has been such an eye opener with the work that goes into the process. Ortega states that, in other words, the individual mind finds the source of learning in social communities; learning is available in historical and social processes and emerges among agents in a given context (2013, p. 217). This quote reminds me of what you explained about the different factors of learning a second language or additional one. These different factors allow me to think as well about how differentiated learning is incredibly important. Thank you for sharing!
Hi Desiree! Thank you for reading my blog entry! This course is definitely an eye opener in understanding how much work goes into the process of acquiring a second language. Which means that there is a lot of things that we, as future educators, must come to understand. In order to teach ELLs effectively, differentiation really will be the key to their success.
DeleteHi Chenda,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading on how you took many aspects of this course and how it has better helped you learn. It really shows how you gained a lot from this course. I love that it has motivated you to want to take the ESL. This course has actually had the same effect on me and I actually feel prepared. It is crazy how many questions for just our PPR and Content Exams were in reference to information we learned in this course. It is such an important topic, yet we don't stress nearly enough on them. I learned so much this past year which I was completely oblivious to in the past. This course has definitely helped me with my teaching career from how I will approach and understand my students in the future to being able to prepare and be qualified for the position.
Hi Norah! Thank you for taking the time to read my blog entry! After taking the Content Exam and PPR and seeing how much emphasis there was on how to support and teach ELLs it only seemed natural to need to take the ESL exam next. The area we live in is full of English language learners and we, as future educators, must be prepared with the knowledge on how we should support and teach ELLs. This course has definitely helped me gain insight on that.
Delete