Hello Chenda, I experienced a similar thing in that my father wanted me to be an engineer and I was even interested in it but I seen realized it was not for me. You and your family have an amazing story of how you got here to the United states. I can understand how you learned English through watching TV. "We use the term ‘bilingual acquisition’ or ‘multilingual acquisition’ to refer to the process of learning two or more languages relatively simultaneously during early childhood..." (Ortega, p.4) When I was first taking Spanish in high school my teacher used to have us watch movies in Spanish with English subtitles. It is a lot easier to engage and actually learn when it is entertaining and fun.
Hello Elizabeth! Thank you for watching my video! I agree that it is definitely way easier to engage and learn a language when it is entertaining and fun! My Khmer has gotten a lot better just because I’ve been watching Khmer dramas with my mom. Along with watching Khmer dramas I’m really into Korean dramas so over the years I’ve been able to pick up on Korean language as well. I think if what you are learning is fun it’s definitely easier to learn.
Hello Chenda, I really enjoyed viewing your video and learning some interesting facts about you. I think that your story about how you decided that you want to become a teacher shows how dedicated you will be to your line of work. Also, I think that how your learned the English language is something other bilingual students can relate to. The combination formal and informal education contributed to your knowledge of the language. "SLA research has unveiled a number of universal influences that help shape the nature, pace, route and finish line in the path towards learning a second language. Among these, the most important and well-studied sources of universal influence are age, mother tongue, environment and cognition" (Ortega, pg.26). I think that these factors related to your learning.
Hey BreAnna! Thank you for watching my video! I can say that many of my friends that are second language learners definitely have learned English through watching TV combined with learning English at school. It’s true that when learning a second language there are so many factors that influences how well someone learns a language. For me, my age and environment could have definitely been great influencing factors.
Hi Chenda! I really enjoyed watching your video and getting to learn about you, your hobbies, your love for education and your experience in learning English. I would love to hear more about how watching television in English helped you learn it. I believe that many people who speak a language other than English will talk between their languages and then try to translate a word in the non english language, but have trouble doing so. I have friends whose main language is Spanish and that happens to them. They are unable to think of the English word at times. According to Ortega, second language learners "do best in the language they were more actively and consistently using in daily activities..." (2009, 26). This would explain why you had trouble speaking Khmer when you began taking classes in a completely English speaking classroom. Thank you for sharing your story!
Hi Ya’nique! Thank you for watching my video! I was able to learn English from TV through watching a lot of cartoons or PBS shows. I remember that I would get the general gist of what was going on by just looking at the pictures and then sometimes I would hear certain phrases a lot so I slowly started getting familiar with the English language. I think the more you hear something you just end up learning it.
Hello Chenda,
ReplyDeleteI experienced a similar thing in that my father wanted me to be an engineer and I was even interested in it but I seen realized it was not for me. You and your family have an amazing story of how you got here to the United states. I can understand how you learned English through watching TV. "We use the term ‘bilingual acquisition’ or ‘multilingual acquisition’ to refer to the process of learning two or more languages relatively simultaneously during early childhood..." (Ortega, p.4) When I was first taking Spanish in high school my teacher used to have us watch movies in Spanish with English subtitles. It is a lot easier to engage and actually learn when it is entertaining and fun.
Hello Elizabeth! Thank you for watching my video! I agree that it is definitely way easier to engage and learn a language when it is entertaining and fun! My Khmer has gotten a lot better just because I’ve been watching Khmer dramas with my mom. Along with watching Khmer dramas I’m really into Korean dramas so over the years I’ve been able to pick up on Korean language as well. I think if what you are learning is fun it’s definitely easier to learn.
DeleteHello Chenda,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed viewing your video and learning some interesting facts about you. I think that your story about how you decided that you want to become a teacher shows how dedicated you will be to your line of work. Also, I think that how your learned the English language is something other bilingual students can relate to. The combination formal and informal education contributed to your knowledge of the language. "SLA research has unveiled a number of universal influences that help shape the nature, pace, route and finish line in the path towards learning a second language. Among these, the most important and well-studied sources of universal influence are age, mother tongue, environment and cognition" (Ortega, pg.26). I think that these factors related to your learning.
Hey BreAnna! Thank you for watching my video! I can say that many of my friends that are second language learners definitely have learned English through watching TV combined with learning English at school. It’s true that when learning a second language there are so many factors that influences how well someone learns a language. For me, my age and environment could have definitely been great influencing factors.
DeleteHi Chenda!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed watching your video and getting to learn about you, your hobbies, your love for education and your experience in learning English. I would love to hear more about how watching television in English helped you learn it. I believe that many people who speak a language other than English will talk between their languages and then try to translate a word in the non english language, but have trouble doing so. I have friends whose main language is Spanish and that happens to them. They are unable to think of the English word at times. According to Ortega, second language learners "do best in the language they were more actively and consistently using in daily activities..." (2009, 26). This would explain why you had trouble speaking Khmer when you began taking classes in a completely English speaking classroom. Thank you for sharing your story!
Hi Ya’nique! Thank you for watching my video! I was able to learn English from TV through watching a lot of cartoons or PBS shows. I remember that I would get the general gist of what was going on by just looking at the pictures and then sometimes I would hear certain phrases a lot so I slowly started getting familiar with the English language. I think the more you hear something you just end up learning it.
Delete